FROM THE FILES OF JW ZUNINO
JW Zunino is under contract with the City of Las Vegas to design a seven acre public park along the existing Las Vegas Wash and Trail and adjacent to Bonanza Road in the Northeastern part of Las Vegas. This park would service the many neighborhoods and schools in the area and bring a much needed recreation outlet for this part of the community. Through public outreach meetings, input from the City Council, and the City of Las Vegas staff a consensus master plan was developed and approved. This plan will include a practice artificial turf soccer field, basketball court, an exercise station, picnic shelters, challenge level tot lots, a water play area (sensitive to water usage), trails, paths, large lawn play areas, and park furniture. All of the activities are being designed for universal accessibility allowing people of all abilities to be able to participate and enjoy the park.
CHOOSING YOUR TREE
The Christmas season has sprung upon us once again and tree lots are popping up throughout the city. While artificial trees have become more popular over the years, there is nothing quite like the smell of a freshly cut fir tree wafting throughout the house. When it comes to choosing a tree, follow these helpful guidelines to ensure a perfect pick:
- Buy a tree that is just right for the space it will occupy by measuring the area first. Having too big of a tree can overwhelm the room.
- Check for freshness by making sure the branches are pliable and the needles aren’t dropping.
- Have a plan for disposal of the tree after the holidays are over. Recycle centers are located around the valley.
Douglas Fir Noble Fir
- 25-30 million live Christmas trees are sold in the U.S. each year
- There are 15,000 farms growing Christmas trees in the U.S.
- 1-3 seedlings are planted for every Christmas tree harvested
- It can take up to 15 years for a tree to reach 6-7 feet, but the average time is 7 years. *information from realchristmastrees.org